The list below summarizes the projects that have been successfully funded by the Leong Centre.
2020 Catalyst Grant Competition, "Child Health and Equity in the Context of the Covid-19 Pandemic"
- Coping with COVID: A quasi-experimental, longitudinal study of the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic on low-income children and their families ($74,900)
Awarded in partnership with the Fraser Mustard Policy Bench
PI: Michal Perlman, Applied Psychology and Human Development, OISE, University of Toronto
Co-Investigators: Jennifer Jenkins, University of Toronto; Michael Baker, University of Toronto; Olesya Falenchuk, University of Toronto.
- Developing a community-informed intervention to lessen the impact of COVID-19 on families of children with developmental disorders in Toronto's inner-city ($60,000)
PI: Shazeen Suleman, Paediatrics, St. Michael's Hospital – Unity Health Toronto
Co-Investigators: Ripudaman Minhas, University of Toronto; Jennifer Blunt, Regent Park Community Health Centre; Mark Osler, College-Montrose Children's Place; Clara Juando-Prats, Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute, Unity Health Toronto.
Trainees: Tali Filler, University of Toronto; Usamah Mohammed, University of Toronto; Pardeep Kaur, Unity Health Toronto.
- Exploring inequities in adolescent sexual and reproductive health and rights in Ontario during the COVID-19 pandemic ($74,984)
PI: Ashley Vandermorris, Adolescent Medicine, The Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids)
Co-Investigators: Stephanie Begun, University of Toronto; Hilary Brown, University of Toronto Scarborough, ICES; Megan Harrison, Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario; Britt McKinnon, University of Toronto; Alene Toulany, SickKids, ICES; Jannah Wigle, University of Toronto.
- Learning models during COVID-19 and school outcomes in children ($74,909)
PI: Catherine Birken, Paediatric Medicine, The Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids)
Co-Investigators: Jonathon Maguire, Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute - Unity Health Toronto; Jessica Omand, SickKids; Magdalena Janus, McMaster University; Laura Anderson, McMaster University; Barbara Fallon, University of Toronto.
2020 Other Funding
- Real-time monitoring of disaster-related mental health impact of COVID-19 on Canadian children, youth and families: A cross collaboration of community and clinical cohorts ($25,000)
Co-funded by the Centre for Brain and Mental Health
PI: Dr. Daphne Korczak, Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist, SickKids
- Mental health support for SickKids children and families during COVID-19 using established eHealth interventions ($25,000)
Co-funded by the Centre for Brain and Mental Health
PIs: Dr. Tricia Williams, Neuropsychologist, Division of Neurology and Dr. Suneeta Monga, Associate Psychiatrist-in-Chief, SickKids
2021 Catalyst Grant Competition, "Engaged Research for Child Health Equity"
1. Waaneziyenh wii ni noodjimoowayin (The path that is taken to heal together): Indigenous Parents stories of the Child Welfare System ($71,900). PI: Angela Mashford-Pringle (Waakebiness-Bryce Institute for Indigenous Health); Co-Investigators: B. Scott-Kay, A. Shawanda, A. Ataullahajan, JL Wabie, R. Walsh Collaborators: A. Perron, W. Philips, E. Rice, S. Tan, G. Tjong
2. In the Aftermath ($90,493). PI: Tanya L. Sharpe (Factor-Inwentash Faculty of Social Work, U of T) Co-Investigators: B. King, A. Bailey, L. McCready, K. Haynes, T. Rose
3. Our stories are our strength: Understanding Indigenous patients, families and communities’ lived experiences of pediatric solid organ transplantation ($75,000). Nominated PI: Samantha Anthony (SickKids), Principal Applicant: Mary Beaucage (Anishnaabekwe, Nippising First Nation); Co-Investigators: A. Dart, A. Goldberg, M. Matsuda-Abedini, S. Urschel, M. Weiss; Collaborators: M. De Angelis, E. Ghent, D. Hartell Patient; Partners: R. Henderson, C. Toulouse
2021 Other Funding
- Expansion of TARGet Kids! clinics into lower income neighbourhoods and supporting a trial of free daycare to test impact on nutritional outcomes ($150,000)
PIs: Dr. Catherine Birken, Senior Scientist, Child Health Evaluative Sciences, SickKids and Prof. Jonathon Maguire, Associate Professor, Department of Paediatrics, University of Toronto
- ExplAIn 2 Kids: Engaging Children & Youth in Ar@ficial Intelligence in Pediatric Healthcare ($20,000)
In partnership with the Dalla Lana School of Public Health Data Science Interdisciplinary Research Cluster
PI: Dr. Melissa McCradden, SickKids and U of T
Co-Investigators: Dolly Menna-Dack, Holland Bloorview Kids Rehabilitation; Randi Zlotnik Shaul, SickKids; James Anderson, SickKids; Elizabeth Stephenson, SickKids
- Virtual Parenting Intervention ($150,000) PI: Dr. Tricia Williams, The Hospital for Sick Children
- Addressing Barriers to Effective Mental Health Care for Black Youth: Strengthening hospital and community connection ($2,350) In partnership with the Temerty Knowledge Translation Grant. PI: Dr. Amy Gajaria, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health Academic Collaborators: Dr Araba Chintoh, Psychiatry, University of Toronto; Kevin Haynes, Yolanda Kosic, and Donna Alexander, Factor Inwetash School of Social Work, University of Toronto; students: Dr. Josiah Osagie, PGME, University of Toronto, and Annalicia Skeete, Factor Inwetash School of Social Work; Dr. Branka Agic, Dalla Lana School of Public Health; Dr. Sanjeev Sockalingham, Department of Psychiatry, University of Toronto Community Partner: Caribbean African Canadian (CAFCAN) Social Services
2022 Catalyst Grant Competition, “Data Impact for Children’s Health and Equity”
1. Linking Census and Child Welfare Data to Explore Health and Social Outcomes for First Nations Children and Families ($37,500). PI: Barbara Fallon, Factor-Inwentash Faculty of Social Work, University of Toronto; Co-Investigators: Amber Crowe, Dnaagdawenmag Binnoojiiyag Child and Family Services; Tara Black, Ontario Child Abuse and Neglect Data System
2. Inequity and the Social and Built Environment Determinants of Child and Adolescent Active Transportation Injuries ($75,000). PIs: M. Anne Harris, School of Occupational and Public Health, Toronto Metropolitan University; Linda Rothman, School of Occupational and Public Health, Toronto Metropolitan University
3. Social Determinants of Health and their Relationship with Physical Activity and Health Outcomes in Children and Adolescents with Neuroinflammatory Disorders ($75,000). PI: Ann Yeh, Senior Scientist, The Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids); Co-Investigators: Samantha Stephens, SickKids Research Institute; Paul Yejong, SickKids Research Institute; Teresa To, SickKids Research Institute; Ruth Ann Marie, University of Manitoba; Marcia Finlayson, Queen’s University; Collaborator: Robert Motl, University of Illinois
4. Parental Employment Quality and Child Mental Health: Triangulating Evidence from General Population Surveys ($72,005). PI: Faraz Vahid Shahidi, Institute for Work and Health, University of Toronto; Anne Fuller, Department of Pediatrics, McMaster University; Co-Investigators: Katholiki (Kathy) Georgiades, McMaster University; Jinette Comeau, Western University; Arjumand Siddiqi, University of Toronto; Gita Wahi, McMaster University; Andrew Pinto, University of Toronto
2022 Other Funding
1. "A Phase IIa Proof of Concept Trial Examining the On The Land Program Focused on Wellness and Quality of Life in Indigenous Children and Youth" ($50,000)
PI: Dr. Don Mabbott (Hospital for Sick Children)
2. "Reducing SARS-Cov-2 Risk in Children: Using Machine Learning to Improve the ‘Swiss Cheese Model’ of Pandemic Defense" In partnership with the Dalla Lana School of Public Health Data Science Interdisciplinary Research Cluster ($20,000)
PI: Dr. Jonathan Maguire (University of Toronto)